Search This Blog

Home

Monday 19 April 2010

Stranded


We tend to put global issues that don't concern us out of our mind, go on with our daily lives and at the most say - I'm glad this is not effecting me.
I have a habit of tuning out the news. It's an inherent legacy of living in a place where news, bad news, infiltrate your daily existance, where you need to spend much needed energies in putting up mental barriers and block the bad news so life can actually go on despite what's around you.
So when a stranded friend on route, who's flight was canceled because of the volcanic ash that's spreading across the north Atlantic, called me this morning, I felt bad for her, and at the same time more connected to what's happening in the world today.
We managed to make the best out of this curious situation, happy for a surprise visit and a rare chance to catch up. Others are not so lucky.
Perhaps it's a mean thing to say from the comfort of my own home, but I like it when Mother Nature shows us what she's worth. A lesson in humility is good for us humans.

No comments: