Search This Blog

Home

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Accentuating the Positives

These are strange times.
I walk the streets of my neighbourhood and find more and more old architectural treasures in the clutches of "development". It makes me sad and I feel I'm continually mourning my city. Everywhere we go a sign the size of a small apartment pronounces an application to city hall for a redevelopment that promises to replace an old Victorian row house with a tower of an indistinct nature that is going to look like a slum in 20 years or less.
How Pathetic is the state of our nation, that we sit and let it happen without trying to put a stop to it?
Truth is, the building where I am, this little shop, is under the same threat after changing ownership recently. I can see it coming, even though it could be years in the making. The noose is already being tied in some back room of the wheelers and dealers at the planning departments and city councillors, behind the scenes and far from anyone's ears.

That rant over, let's think about the nice things in life, to replace these bitter disappointments with a bit of sweetness.

* Summer vacation. No morning rush, no afternoon classes. Leisurely dinners, movies, rest, warm sunny days in housecoats and nothing else.

* Summer festivals in the city of Doom (this is what I'm calling Toronto from now on) - culture, music, art. Some counterbalance to the greed and ugliness of the "It's not personal, it's business" crowd we have to live with these days. Thank the universe for artists.

* The nasturtiums are blooming - YEA!!!

* A new chimney towers over my house at last, the 100 year old one put to rest (together with a large chunk of money).

* New delightful customers discovering my shop of treasures every day.

No comments: