Search This Blog

Home

Friday 19 July 2013

A Hot Thursday in The City

What a day it was.
The lingering heat is one thing. To have the street where we live evacuated because a gas pipe was accidentally "tapped" by construction workers - an unwelcome disturbance.
I closed the shop and came home to see that the kids are ok. They were not, of course. We tried to make the best of it.
I helped the oldest neighbour on our street find shelter from the oppressive heat, and put the policeman in charge to work checking up on him periodically. Then we sought refuge at a friend's air-conditioned house for the rest of the afternoon.
I'm going to purchase a cooling device for the house today; enough is enough. So far my resistance to it was based on the contention that heat in this country is a passing thing, that we should just deal and take it in stride. But this week is testing my resolve. I'm caving in.
And of course, as a result, we have no hot water now. Of course. It's the perfect day for a cold shower, luckily.



No comments: