Search This Blog

Home

Sunday 21 March 2010

Where Is Home?

Some of us call where they live home. Others carry lost homes with them wherever they go. I think we may all have an emotional home, internally, and a practical one, where we live. Returning to my practical home made that clear to me, once again.
My emotional home is ragged, intense, turbulent, beautifully colourful, loaded.
My practical home is almost a complete opposite: quiet, calming, gentle, devoid of family, urban.
There exists the blatant fact that I do not possess a house in my emotional home, I don't have material possessions to return to there, yet I have an emotional history there which can't be repeated anywhere else.
Here is a sunset over the Sea of Galilee, from a moving car. The sharp clif is where Jesus supposedly jumped from, to reach a neighbouring mountain. You can see how such a view can make legends rise.

We set our tents in the dark, spent the evening sitting by the fire roasting potatoes and sipping wine. Rising from a restless sleep in tents on the cold mountaintop to this spectacular view of the valley bellow was a sight for sore eyes.

This song is a long time favorite of mine. It talks about what people go looking for, and what they might find (or not) when they feel the need to spread their wings and fly away from home.

No comments: