Search This Blog

Home

Tuesday 11 October 2011

Code of Conduct at RM

Here's a list of a few things I thought of while swimming today, which I'm going to post on the shop's window so no one could say they didn't know.
There are things I'd love to discuss, or hear about from my customers and some I really don't. I'd like people to remember they are coming into my sanctuary, and they should treat it, and me, with respect.
For example:
Don't expose your homophobia, your antisemitism, your anti-feminist biases. Don't tell me why you hate your ex, or all women in general. Don't tell me why you hate Toronto. I love Toronto, I don't want to have to defend it.
Don't tell me how you hate the poor, or the rich, the leftists, starving artist, and social misfits, or things that are made in China (everything is made in China these days). Don't tell me about your latest drug deal or the heist you are planing.
Do not tell me you hate second hand shopping under any circumstances - that would make it very difficult for me to continue to serve you!

You may tell me stories which include beauty, adventure, travel, compassion and/or illicit sex. I love hearing about the human condition, about love, literature and music, movies and people you admire (unless Hitler or Bin Laden and their ilk are among them - I don't want to know).
Politics are not completely out of bounds, but please remember that there are limits to my understanding. Conspiracy theories about 9/11 are not my cup of tea (possibly because they are laced with antisemitism? I am not sure). I do love talking badly about our mayor - who doesn't?
I'd like to say something about bartering techniques, but I think that would require a book, so I'll limit it to this - be fair and respectful. My prices are, and you should be too.

Hopefully this makes a good indication as to how to be a well behaved RM shopper. Sorry it took me so long to recognize the need to compose a list.

No comments: