Search This Blog

Home

Monday 12 December 2011

Hedgehogs

I finished reading "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" last week.
I kind of liked parts of it, the premise is a good one, and the literariness of it appealed to me, but I thought the ending is a complete cop out. I can't discuss it because it would be a spoiler if you haven't read it.
As a child, one of my favourite books was about a kid who is home sick and has only a hungry hedgehog as a companion. The illustrations were wonderful, and at the time, in my girlhood, hedgehogs would sometimes appear in our neighbourhood, not pets but the real things, wild ones, out on a tour of their habitat. We loved their visits but there were always cats and silly kids to disturb them and eventually they disappeared altogether.
Anyway, I looked up hedgehog on youtube, and lo and behold, there is a world out there full of hedgehog pets I'd never have guessed.

No comments: