Search This Blog

Home

Monday 22 August 2011

Come Fly Away

Those who pay attention may remember a post a while ago with a youtube old video of Baryshnikov dancing a Twyla Tharp duet set to Frank Sinatra songs. Well, as it turns out this old dance piece has been turned into a full blown Broadway show called Come Fly Away and this afternoon I took my dancer boy to watch it at the Four Season center - rush tickets, naturally.
We had fun, despite my usual criticisms. The voice was Sinatra's, with a live band on stage. The choreography and staging could have been better. I liked the Baryshnikov version better, I admit. Broadway is not my thing. Still, the big band was fantastic, and the dancers very vibrant and sexy.
All in all, a nice way to spend an afternoon. We then went home and rented the old Guys and Dolls movie to give the young man some perspective on Sinatra. I still think it's the best musical ever to be produced.

No comments: