Search This Blog

Home

Friday 22 February 2008

I love my shop


I do. It's true.
Every day people come in and talk to me, tell me about themselves, buy something nice for someone or just for them, which is of course why I do this, but I love the fact they feel at home enough to want to talk to me. I love hearing these little snippets of their lives, although the stories can be painful, or heartbreaking sometime. I feel connected to people on a very basic human level, something so simple and comforting. I make a point of asking, or making a personal comment to make them open up a little. I put music on, and if I had the room I'd dance.
It's even better when I get positive comments on how the shop looks or feels. Yes, I am aware it's not the best designed shop in the market, that it's crowded and can get a bit messy (specially after I get a load of new clothes), and I know many people have ideas on how I should do things differently. Still, I feel that there are plenty of people out there who get it and like it and that's good enough for me. For now, at least.
Yesterday a woman came in wearing the most wonderful winter coat. The hairy, woolly, texture made it look like a blue cat. She admitted of buying it even though it's a few sized too large, she couldn't resist. I totally understand. What is it about feeling something soft against our fingers that makes a garment (or a person, for that matter) irresistible?

No comments: