Search This Blog

Home

Monday 25 August 2008

What We Wear and Why



So many W's in one sentence...

I wanted to post something thoughtful, a cheerful reflection on what I do for a living, and looked for inspiration on Google. Big mistake.
Most of the listings there refer to dress code for religious purposes, while I was looking for something that would reflect more on the creative, inclusive, wide range of the way people dress. What I found was the opposite - a lot of rationalizations of the restrictive code that some people who have negative relationship with their bodies try to enforce on the rest of humanity.

What I tell people who come to my shop is my simple way of using clothes: Wear what you feel comfortable in, mentally as well as physically. Look at yourself in the mirror and if you like what you see, go for it. Use your gut reaction, believe yourself. Use the image you have of yourself in your head and make it happen in reality, if you can afford it.
The nice thing about a shop like mine is that you can afford a look that's closer to the image in your head. It works for me, and it works for those who come to shop.

I try not to judge those who leave the shop when they realize it's second-hand (sometimes only after shopping - because my stuff is so good sometimes they can't tell the difference). But I must admit it's not easy. I tend to think it's somewhat narrow minded not to shop second-hand on principal. Am I wrong here?

No comments: