Search This Blog

Home

Tuesday 26 August 2008

Book Report


OK, I finished reading "The Kindly Ones" by Jonathan Littel (see my original post about it in July).
Reading this book is hard work. It's very long, and loaded with details that are hard to follow. It took me longer than usual to get to the end, and I forgot what's in the beginning, so I'm starting it again to see if I can get more out of it now that the war (WW2) is over.
It raises so many difficult question about this "episode" in human history.
One that is hard to swallow is the implied complicity of the victims in their own destruction, and is referred to the Jews mainly, not so much to the other groups. Some readers, I'm sure, will find this outrageous, judgmental and cruel. I haven't made up my mind yet.
There is a point early in the story where one of the Nazis asks a colleague how they managed to collect so many Jews so fast, and the guy says it was so easy, all they had to do is post a notice that the Jews should come to the town square by a certain time, and that was enough, they came by the thousands. The Nazis thought it was funny that people are cooperating so well.
The protagonist, Max Aue, says at another point, towards the end, that the Jews had to be destroyed because they were so German, and the Germans hated them for it. And that those Jews who will survive will be more German than the Germans. If you know Jews and Germans, you know there's some truth about that last bit.
There are parts of the book in which Max tells his own personal, tragic family history. He talks about his incestuous, hopeless love to his twin sister. It's sad and crazy, yet gripping in its emotional and sensual intensity.
I'm curious to read what readers here in Canada are going to make of this unusual book.

No comments: