Search This Blog

Home

Saturday 28 May 2011

Consuming Culture

I was at the AGO last night - oh, the crowds! a line up after line up, to see the American Expressionist show. It is a good show.
It was, shamefully, my first time at the AGO after it's famous face lift. I bulk at the admission price, having been spoiled living in NYC for a while and being able to see the best of the best on a PWYC basis (pay what you can). I've heard so much about the new face of the museum, and I found that the exhibit rooms are still quite small, compared to the size of the halls leading to them. However, this exhibition is well put together, informative without being heavy and most of the selected artwork is worth seeing (all but the very last room). Here is a picture I took:
The Rothko room was particularly lovely, his large colourful images calming and beautiful.

And here is a glimpse into the studio of another true artist - our friend Alex Moyle, an exceptional sculptor:

No comments: