Search This Blog

Home

Friday 13 July 2012

A Lesson in How Not To Be A Man of Substance

This story is a sad one, for me. It might not be the best business-like approach to tell you, but I think people need to know how not to behave:
A consignor came in yesterday, after vanishing for 2 and a half years, to claim his share. I looked up his file, and recapped what I paid him then for the items I sold, and what was left at the shop for all these years and did not sell - I said I gave it away eventually since no one wanted to buy it even from the $5 bin.
He got angry.
Let me explain what these things were: an old red polyester pyjama (he thought it was silk) and an old red sweater.
The man said - you have to pay me for them. I guess these things were so dear to him he forgot them at my shop for close to 3 years.
I wanted him out of there. To cut it short I said - lets assume someone did buy them from the $5 bin, which they didn't - I'll pay you for that. He didn't like that either. I gave him $5. For donating his old pyjamas.
He took the money. Thanks for nothing, he said at the door.
Shame, I guess, is not in his repertoire.


No comments: