Search This Blog

Home

Thursday 23 December 2010

New Qoute

Art is the colour on the sketches of life.

My son said that, reflecting on the Arts in his applications to various high schools. Then he asked - has this been said like that before? well, not to me, it hasn't, so I give him the credit.

We went to his pediatrician the other day, and he liked the art on the wall in the waiting room, a manufactured sugary harbour scene. He asked me if I like it too, and I said I don't, and tried to explain why, and what the difference is between this bad kitsch (I do love good kitsch) and a good painting. BTW, I tried to google bad paintings of this sort to post here and was pleased to see there were none.
I felt guilty and pretentious as I was messing his innocent enjoyment and told him everyone is entitled to like what they like in art, but I realized we must visit some good museums soon to show him the difference. Museums in Toronto are terribly expensive, and we just stopped going. Perhaps it's time to resume the habit.

No comments: