Search This Blog

Home

Thursday 3 July 2008

Time



Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
Buddha

I was talking to my mother today on the phone and she told me she's obsessed with her past, what makes her happiest is seeing pictures of her young self and remembering how lovely she looked, and how handsome my father was. She's not interested at all in talking about her grandchildren (she's got 20 of them, and a few great grand children). She told me she once left the house angry after a fight with my father, early in their marriage (one of many, in their 60 years of matrimony) wearing only a robe, and walked to her parents' home. I asked if she remembers what the fight was about. She laughed: "I can't remember, I only remember how beautiful I was then, even in that silly robe".
I want to believe that I can be different in that regard, that I can enjoy and be present in my life as it unfolds.

No comments: